Monday 2 April 2007

What's the problem with Laur-ia?

“Hat, hat, hat” I mutter quickly under my breath as did a back flip over the couch. “Where did I put that damn hat?” I shout out as I kicked a cushion over the floor. First day back on the job as a police officer and I can’t find my hat. “Nice back flip” I turn round to see Laura standing in my doorway, “ever heard of knocking?” by the looks of my damaged door-lock she most certainly hadn’t.

“Yer a cop?” her amused voice asked dryly, “it’s a day job” it was a bit surprising to see her without Logan, either he see’s me as an alley for not liking that Hormone or somebody’s been lying. “Know any good moves?” Laura’s brown eyes study me, “a few” I say dryly. “Like what?” she asked taking a deep drag from her cigarette, “like firstly, no smoking in my house” I pull the cigarette out of her hand as she unsheathes her claws.

“Secondly don’t reveal what you’re capable of in reaction” Laura's hand relaxes and her claws slowly sink back in. “What do ya think of the Sayin?” Laura asked as I frowned at this question, “you mean the midget with an ego that make Doom seem modest?” I asked as she smirked. “Yer, him Bat-Kid” I rolled my eyes at her comment, “okay Wolvie clone” I counter as she glares at me and tosses her claws to the side in a threatening manner.

“Oh and another rule don’t waste times with threatening movements, it hints more to that your act on impulse and less so on skill” I explain hoping over the coffee table. “So, why do ya think I need training?” she rasped. “It seems to be not just me, but you since you came here. Let’s face it Laura you depend purely on your claws and your healing factor, which puts you in a lot of danger” she frowns and places her hand on her hips. “How so?”

“Simple, cause claws’n’healin ain’t always gon be enough, Laurie” I mock her voice, “cause one day you gon meet some freak who out powers ya and then there won’t be much ya can do- but if you got the moves then you can som’thin” she rolls her eyes. “Your point?” Laura asks pushing her hair out of her face, “my point is that with your abilities you need to be able to-" the girl cuts me off, “great power and responsibility, yeah I know” she sighs tiredly.

“Look, you have abilities but no skill, and for those special abilities to be even considered great power you need to have skills. Something you lack, and it’s going to be a long road to get there Laura, the road will be long enough to even call yourself a fighter- let alone a great fighter” she gives me a long hard stare and perches herself on the kitchen counter. “Could you teach me well enough to beat Cassandra?” she asks in a low voice, “which one?” I say jokingly, “Cain” she replies.

I pause, Cassandra was the best fighter but she’d never actually been challenged, which was strange. Her most vicious and powerful attacks had been when people these people were at there weakest, her father, Shiva, her “sister”. But even at there weakest these people were great. She did beat Ravager, but considering Rose was weakened by the kryptonite eye technically it should’ve gone to Rose, Slade well he probably beat her whilst testing her whilst she was under the serum, I came close to but sadly our fight was intervened by Alfred’s cookie-call. She still had her weaknesses and Laura could take advantage of those.

“Laura, that’s something entirely different, what you need to understand is assuming that I know you are at the skill and level to even consider training at that level is that I am not teaching you how to kill her. Beat her up in a regulated fight, yes, harm her in a situation that did not call for physical contact, no” I say sternly.

"You think I could beat her?” I smile as her eyes seem to light up, “I think you could probably beat her just by flailing those claws around, but don’t get any ideas. The reason why I requested to teach you is not so you can beat Cassandra but so you can be good enough to beat everyone- even yourself” I say.

“Myself?” she asks with a smile, I can’t believe this girls a clone of Logan! “With the amount of clones running around I wouldn’t be surprised if the situation called for it” she breaks in to a small laugh. “So can we start trainin today?” she questions, “sure but I have a hat to find, a patrol along the streets of Bludhaven and then sort out the training regime so you’ll have to keep yourself entertained whilst I’m at work” I glance at the time, still no hat.

"Hey, look I don’t want ta come between you and Cass through this trainin’ thing” I roll my eyes as I look under the sofa, “I don’t think me training you would bother Cass and hey, even she needs a challenge. But I’d prefer Ms.Kinney that we keep this between you and me and try to avoid showing off whatever I teach you” a sly smile appears, “assuming what ya teach me is any good Bat-Kid”.

I laugh, “okay, so we’ll begin your training tonight but until then what do ya intend to do?” she sits down on the sofa, “I hope ya have something good in the fridge”. “Yeah, but whatever you do don’t you go in my room and where is that HAT!” I shout as I feel something hit me on the back of the head. I turn and look at the floor, “it was under the sofa pillow” Laura said with a smirk. “Hey, I’m male therefore I have no common sense” I say before putting it on and running out the door.

1 comment:

Wolverine said...

remember Boy Wonder hands to yerself.